Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Best Hobby in the World


by Benjamin Fisher - Festival Nomad Correspondent

Day 2 continued ...Day 2 was almost all the same things, cannon and musket demonstrations, boiling hot sun under 2 layers of wool and an amazingly fun day. But I was told that I was to be a designated "dead guy" in the battle today. Colin, Andrew, Andrew #2, Rooster , George and Kevin were all doing either a dueling, musket or cannon demonstrations. Mid-day all the other guys were teaching me how to “die”! “heart wrenching screams!” “make it epic!” were things they taught me . Marching into battle I was hoping I would remember all the "dead person" instructions. Waiting for the battle to start was the hardest part! BANG we shoot to start the first volley. BOOM the Americans shoot, and down I go. Before I hit the ground I heard Colin say “well that definitely didn’t take long”. There I was "dead". A foot away from poison ivy. While I was waiting on the ground “dead”, the American troops marched over and stopped right beside my "dead body". The American Sergeant leant over and said “don’t move!”
Also before the battle Rooster, told me to not get his musket in the dirt. So of course I held it tight and made sure I did not get one grain of sand in or on that musket! When the battle ended another re-enactor came and told me it was finished and that I could get up now. So doesn’t he just accidentally put the barrel of the gun in the sand! Luckily Rooster didn’t mind because he witnessed the whole thing!

Day:3
The third and final day had all the normal things: cannon, musket, dueling and surgeon demonstrations took place at Wasaga Under Siege. The final battle just allowed me to conclude the awesome event. After the battle I said good bye to all the re-enactors with gratitude, for their gift to me was allowing me to “re-live” the moment, and truly know what it is like to reenact the War of 1812.
Sad to leave, the next morning we headed back to the small historic town of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.
The End
P.S.: please do not attempt to "die" like soldier in 1812 unless you have professional teaching from re-enactors at Wasaga Under Siege!
Benn Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment