Thursday, October 13, 2011

RECRUITING ...


by Kathy Fisher - Festival Nomad Correspondent

Kathy Fisher Curator, Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site, reporting to you on my recent visit to Wasaga Under Siege, this July 2011.
As curator at a site with a connection to the War of 1812, I have been caught up in the Bicentennial Wave of planning for the commemoration of the War for 2012 – 2014. So as a representative from the most northern Ontario region out of the 7 regions planning, I felt the need to visit Wasaga Under Siege this year in order to recruit, promote, and see first-hand an event that will be similar to our celebrations.
Since I work at a historical site, and re-enactment is part of my daily life at work, my children have also become accustomed to wearing the historical clothing and acting the part. So, of course I dragged them along with me, and two other co-workers, also part of our Algoma 1812 group. The purpose: promote, photograph, take notes, promote, copy, take notes, and “experience” the event…..you get the picture.
The trip was a beautiful drive in Algoma Country leaving Sault Ste. Marie at approximately 10:00 am. With GPS in tow, we set off for a rather experiential weekend. Did I mention, never follow a GPS when you gut is saying, I don’t think this is the way! A few dirt roads and back tracking, we finally made it to Nancy Island, Wasaga Beach at 6:30 pm.
All the way there, we talked about what was expected from us upon arrival. We would have to check in and register, receive our information package, and unpack our promotional equipment (which for reenactments – this means unloading wooden voyageur trunks, trade blankets, costumes, brochures, pamphlets, banners, and other items of interest). We needed to get to Nancy Island and do all of this between 6 & 9 pm, as the event would be starting and open to the public the next morning.
(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment