Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Best Hobby in the World


by Benjamin Fisher - Festival Nomad Correspondent

Day 1 Continued ...
Dear readers I am Benjamin Fisher. I am 12 years old and I am a War of 1812 British re-enactor from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada. Re – enacting is probably the best hobby in the world. Dave Cobbern, more commonly known as “rooster”, let me use his musket during the battle. I can’t believe they trusted me to carry a gun. I felt truly honoured, and new that I had to be serious, and respect what these men were allowing me to do. I listened and followed their orders specifically. Colin watched over me during the battle to make sure I knew all the drills and movements. But after the first musket volley I felt like I was actually in the war. There was so much smoke in my nose and fogging the air around me and even though I was not allowed to shoot because I was under age – I was there and “immersed in the experience”. When the battle was over, the day was pretty much over too. However, I had one more experience to the weekend left that day….sleeping in the historical re-enactors wedge tents. My mother agreed to stay with me overnight. It was amazing to see, hear, and live life of 1812.


"12 Year Old Soldier Benn"

(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment