Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Characters of the War of 1812


by Judi McWilliams

ELIZABETH SIMCOE - WRITER!
Elizabeth Simcoe's diary is said to be written in least three versions. The first contained brief, almost daily entries often combined with rough sketches. The others expanded from the first version with more detail and smoother style, with some omissions. She sent the entries back to England at every opportunity. Elizabeth also wrote about her surroundings. Her descriptions are very graphic and her diaries are full of colourful vignettes, such as the Epiphany service in the Roman Catholic cathedral at Quebec or a walk through a still burning forest fire. She had, as she wrote, “the picturesque eye.” She was especially interested in flora and fauna, as well as the food and medicines prepared from them. Elizabeth’s approach to writing was anthropological or romanticized rather than personal even though she was fascinated by the native people. It was said that her marriage was a happy one; even her husband was a shadowy figure, mostly though she was not interested in people. She wrote more about her little son, Francis Gwillim, said to be his mother’s favorite. Over the years I found that I was drawn to nature which I too depicted in my watercolour paintings and poems over the years. I however, found that I saw the images in an “impressionistic way” rather then “realistic” (not abstract though). I found that I was drawn to vibrant colours, while Elizabeth only had monotone colours to work with.
With this said, I thought it would be a good time to let you know a little about John Graves Simcoe, “the husband”.
(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment