Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Welcome to Route 1812 ~ Passion & Enthusiasm ….

Welcome to Route 1812 ~ Pathways to Peace ~ Western Corridor War of 1812-1814 website at www.westerncorridor1812.com
Pathways to Peace ~ Western Corridor War of 1812-1814
Adrienne Horne, M.A., Regional Project Manager, Western Corridor War of 1812 Bicentennial Alliance ~ Interview Continues

Welcome to Route 1812 ~ Passion & Enthusiasm ….
If you have ever had some time to speak with Adrienne, you might notice the conversation has far more “passion” then just discussing “history”. It’s not just her knowledge that you notice either. I asked Adrienne if she could share some of the passion and overall enthusiasm for this Route 1812 Project.
Adrienne replies … I suppose I have always had a love for history. I studied Cultural Anthropology in University, and then took up the role of Family Historian from my grandfather. My family has had a long and influential impact on Canada’s history, including roles in the War of 1812.
I was so excited when I was hired to help the province commemorate the War of 1812. I was finally able to use both my Anthropology and Family History in my career. It helped that I have a strong background in museum studies and project management too!
For me Route 1812 gives communities the opportunity to tell their own story of their history. I never liked history in grade school and I think it was because it went from one war to another. I always thought there must be something more to history then just fighting and so I went into Anthropology, to learn how people live together. As ironic as it seems now to be in yet another war, Route 1812 has given me the outlet to tell the people’s stories, off the battlefields.
Route 1812 is about the social impact the war had on the citizens. It is the social impact that I am interested in. How did we defend our homes and come together in times of trouble, to then stay together to form a great nation? It is that legacy that Canadians should be proud of and celebrate. Stay tuned for more exciting news ...



No comments:

Post a Comment