Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Battle of Queenston Heights ~ featuring 13 year old Benjamin Fisher ~ War of 1812 Reenactor

 
Benjamin Fisher ~ War of 1812 Reenactor
Ontario Visited ~ War of 1812 Celebrations
Festival Nomad Correspondent
 
THE BATTLE OF QUEENSTON HEIGHTS
1812-2012 ~ written by Benjamin Fisher
Friday, Oct. 12, 2012: Education days with IMUC

Friday was an interesting day. I learned more about the different types of uniforms, the regiments that fought in the battle and what I was doing the next day. While with IMUC I could not use my regular RNR red coat tunic. IMUC tunics had green on their arm cuffs, epaulets, and collar, (green facings) my RNR tunic had blue facings so I couldn’t use that. One of the IMUC sergeants (Mr. Paul Kelly) and I were talking about the presentation of the colours (flag presentation) the next day, after the march and battles. We had decided that Aiden (a younger officer in the regiment) and I would present the IMUC colours. The day ended shortly after that. Once the public all had left I left the encampment to go to a dinner pre planned by members of RNR at a cottage they rented (Note: most of the re-enactors camped, but some did not want to sleep in the freezing cold so they had rented cottages for the weekend). The men that were at the dinner were talking about the 12.5 km march the next day. After dinner my family left and went to the hotel for the remainder of the night.
Saturday, October 13, 2012: 200th Anniversary- Battle of Queenston Heights
On Saturday morning I awoke full of excitement. I was about to re-create and relive the same march and battle that Major General Isaac Brock did exactly 200 years before that. I had to be at the fort at 8:30 am to form up and do a safety inspection with the other 650 military re-enactors marching that day, 100 of which were militia men. I was dressed as a militia man. I wore a top hat, vest, wool coat, heavy cotton pants, gaiters (tall black spats) and black boots. I also had my cross belts on. These are belts that hold accoutrements for a soldiers kit (clothing and accessories). Regularly 4 belts these hold musket rounds (gun powder) water, a bayonet (a 3 sided knife-like thing that attaches to the end of a musket) and a bag to hold extra things. These are called a cartridge box, water canteen, bayonet belt, and haversack. Militia was not always issued bayonet belts or bayonets. That being said the militia that was with (RNR) did not carry their bayonets (Note: RNR was posing as the First Lincoln Militia. Also Note they were a British militia).

(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment