Tuesday, June 21, 2011

War of 1812 - Interview Series


by Judi McWilliams

Anne Brooks - Part Two

As you may know by now, I like to talk about “The Ten Foot Rule” (see article). I just had to ask Anne what her thoughts were about how true to authenticity both she and her groups were in regards to their equipment and re-enactments battles and encampments. I laughed when Anne shared with me … “I am not a very good re-enactor, my dress and outfit isn’t authentic. I just need a dress that passes for a re-enactor, I know I need a new dress this year, since my other one got destroyed by the rain that would not let up at Fanshawe Pioneer Village’s re-enactment last year, so I know I will either make one or buy one for less than $100…If I wanted to get a more accurate one, that was better quality, I would probably spend $300 or so, depending on what I got. I just need a simple one, though, because I don’t attend many re-enactments in kit. I am also horrible at wearing bonnets… I “accidently” forget them so I don’t have to wear them. Fanshawe Pioneer Village does try to stay authentic in regards to re-enactments, but we also have the challenge of being a village that represents the 1820’s to the 1920’s, but we have a re-enactment that represents 1812.” In regards to the regiment, Anne shares that …”I am not in a group, my boyfriend is in the UTMRS and they are pretty true to authenticity, his group is always doing research and trying to find out as much as they can on the First Royal Scots.”
(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment