Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Battle of Queenston Heights ~ featuring 13 year old Benjamin Fisher ~ War of 1812 Reenactor


Benjamin Fisher ~ War of 1812 Reenactor
Ontario Visited ~ War of 1812 Celebrations
Festival Nomad Correspondent
 
THE BATTLE OF QUEENSTON HEIGHTS
1812-2012 ~ written by Benjamin Fisher
Saturday, October 13, 2012: 200th Anniversary- Battle of Queenston Heights … continued

He then fired a shot with the group and yelled “TAKE THAT!” Meanwhile I was on the ground still groaning and finally stopped moving “DEAD”.  The Americans had returned fire and another guy died. My group fired back and 2 Americans died. I could see this because I was lying on my side. My group took a few steps forward so that they were standing in front of me. The Americans shot again and 2 guys fell from my group.  So they moved forward more. Out of corner of my eye I saw the American flag bearer “die” and 3 of the Glengarry guys ran up and took their flag. Then a militia officer ran up with his sword out and helped them back without getting shot. I hear cheering from the crowds of approximately 10,000- 15,000 people. Then I see officers coming towards me and the other guy with their canes out poking us to see if we are “alive” Colin (the guy dead beside me) says “Sir I’m alive help me” so the officers pick him up and bring him off the field. I stayed there “dead”. Up ahead I see another wounded guy get up leaning on his musket, stand up and leave the field.  Before anything else happened everyone paused for a moment of silence while the fife and drum band plays a lament in honor of the fallen heroes. So then I hear “the dead shall rise” meaning that anyone who died should get up and join their units. I got up slowly and grabbed my top hat and went ahead about 50 meters to join my group. Not long after that did we all took leave of the battle field. On the march back to the encampment I saw my Mom. She was so amazed. This is a once in a life time opportunity and I am proud to say did it. We marched to the monument where the lieutenant governor of Ontario was waiting for our return. We stood in formation and listened to all the speeches. I remembered that this was when I had to present the flags so I went to find Paul and found out that he had cancelled our part because it had started to rain and we did not want to get the flags wet. Well, I learned new training that I did not know before so the next time I have to do the flags, I will know what to do! That concluded the day for me. We went to get dinner that was provided by the event staff. Finally we watched the fireworks and myself along with another man, Paul Commission, sung part of the American National anthem (and the rockets’ red glare, it was bursting with air” the fireworks were around the approximately 250 foot monument.  Then we left for the cottage.

I Survived the Battle of Queenston Heights!!!
I would like to thank everyone who participated in the event. They made it epic. I would like to especially thank Dave Brunelle, Dave McMeekin, “Rooster”, Paul Kelly, Paul Commission, and everyone in the RNR, IMUC, and the Glengarry Light Infantry.
                                                                                      ~
  IN Memory of…

Major General Isaac Brock

and all who fought for the British and American army during the

War of 1812

No comments:

Post a Comment