Tuesday, September 7, 2010

War of 1812 Discovery Series (#1)


by Judi McWilliams

Introduction
Over the past few years the Festival Nomad and I have had wonderful experiences visiting War of 1812 Re-enactments around Ontario. We find these re-enactments amazing and extremely interesting! In this NEW War of 1812 Discovery Series, I want to share with you some of our experiences, while attempting to shed some light into the actual historic. The historical information contained in this series was obtained by researching internet articles. I have tried to present this information as accurately as I can. If you see any inaccuracies, please notify me by e-mail (judi@ontariofestivalsvisited.ca). Doing just a small amount of research has helped me understand and appreciate the efforts put forth by Re-enactors in their portrayal of our amazing past! Re-enactors truly bring our past alive and make it much more accessible to all Ontarians.

Encampments (Part One)
Re-enactors are “troopers” in the true sense. The Festival Nomad and I have visited several re-enactments of the War of 1812 through rain, shine, freezing cold temperatures, and blistering hot days. And I thought that we were “troopers” just by braving these elements! That is, until I realized just how much effort goes into organizing, participating and managing of a re-enactment event. From the encampments, to the accurate historic outfits, to the intricately orchestrated battles, it all adds up to a tremendous amount of effort and preparation. At the re-enactments that we have visited over the years I have noticed that neither rain nor shine seemed to dampen their spirits. Starting with the encampments, I noticed that there was a definite “rhyme and reason” to the entire set-up. Now a-days, modern “campsites” are usually booked and reserved spots. They are chosen by whether or not users want running water, electricity, a view of the lake or woods, and rustic or elaborate theme activities! Back in 1812 the encampments where chosen by tried and true specific guidelines and regulations.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment