Tuesday, February 15, 2011

War of 1812 - Interview Series


by Judi McWilliams

Interview with Zackery Caron (Part Three)
I asked Zack how does he knows what actions to take during the “battles”? His troop was completely down and he was the last man standing. And then a cannon went off and we saw him “fall”. I asked him what were his thoughts and could he tell me his decisions and actions at that time. He replied "Well to start, during the battles we are told what to do by the commanding officer, just with fancier terms. When I was the last man standing I was told that I was to be shot by the cannon, and so I played it up a little. I took a dive, sprang backwards and then went as limp as I could." I couldn’t let this opportunity of speaking with my nephew pass without asking him if he could tell us any interesting or humorous antidotes in his time of re-enacting. He seems to really enjoy the re-enacting and this was his reply, “Well, the funniest thing that has happened to me was at the beach reenactment. We were outnumbered by about 3 to 1. My part was to yell and scream and make a big seen and then run away! The plan was that when I was run backwards, the officer would tell one person to shoot me for running away! When the time came I ran, the officer called out, and everyone with a working musket turned and fired all at once! I fell! I couldn’t stop laughing so hard afterwards.” In other words, he had “FUN”! If my nephew, Zack, is an indication of the interaction of today’s “youth” with these important roles, it bodes well for keeping “living history” alive and well in our communities!

No comments:

Post a Comment